ORYA COMPETITIVE TEAM TRANSPARENCY POLICY
(Competitive Teams: Travel Hockey, Travel Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Lacrosse)
The intent of this policy is to enhance the communication process between ORYA and the participants. The ORYA staff will oversee all competitive team processes and selections. Following is the outline for all competitive teams to follow; individual sport programs will have a more detailed sport specific description of the procedure.
At least two weeks prior to any program player or coach selection process, the program coordinator should communicate to the ORYA community the following:
- Estimated roster size range, i.e. travel hockey rosters range from 12-15 players.
- Age requirements, any restrictions or exceptions made for players playing outside of their age group.
- Based on the current registration numbers, the number of teams projected.
- All dates, deadlines, and method of where, when and how communications will take place.
- Outline of how team selections are made; i.e. past season evaluation, tryout score, and multiple scores.
- Who will be evaluating; coaches, coordinators, outside source, combination.
- Any exceptions to the selection process; i.e. how injured players will be handled, players requesting to join after the selection process, nonresident.
Coach Selection Process (when needed)
- A detailed description of the type of coach the program is searching for.
- How prospective coaches can apply for the position
- The criteria in which a coach is selected and who is making the selection
- When all candidates will receive notification on their application status
- Any exceptions to the selection process.
- Approximate time commitment for practices and games
- Season start and end dates
- Any information on tournament play; i.e. Key dates, Locations, Level of Competitiveness
- Expected travel distances
- Playing time
- Approximate cost/participant fee
- Fees are often dependent on number of participants, which is not determined until after selection process is complete.
- Outline Approximate Uniform and Equipment costs and Requirements
While planning and communication are essential to the success of the competitive team process, execution of the organized and communicated plans need to follow suit. If at any point an alteration to the communicated plan has been made, program organizers must communicate the change within 12 hours to all families involved/associated with the program. In order to avoid confusion and miscommunications, it is strongly emphasized that if changes need to be made after competitive processes have been communicated, that these changes be deemed absolutely necessary.
Revised: May 1, 2014